Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cravings!!

As I get closer and closer to having this little girl I have found some weird cravings that I just can't seem to live without. And NONE of them are healthy in the slightest. 

I bought Kaleb one of these babies for Christmas 

which has really been to my benefit since my #1 ultimate 
unhealthy craving has been hot chocolate. But not just any hot chocolate... I am talking some homemade ITALIAN hot chocolate. It is thick and creamy like a pudding, and made with real chocolate, creamy milk (or sometimes real cream!) and potato starch, with some whip cream on top. I crave any sort of hot chocolate at any given moment, but every night my honey makes sure to make me a cup of the most delicious and fattening slice of heaven that I have ever tasted. It is definitely my #1 vice to get rid of AFTER I have this baby :)

#2 would have to be these spicy treats
At the beginning and middle of my pregnancy I wanted jalapeno's on EVERYTHING that I ate. I normally can't take spicy foods but for some cooky reason they were all I wanted. So we would make homemade nachos and pizza and smother them with those spicy little buggers until the wonderful acid and heartburn started about 6 months into being pregnant and no matter how many tums I took or antacid pills, I just couldn't take it anymore. This has become my fattening little compromise. I seriously cannot stop at just one... bag!! I buy them in two's and three's because I know I have an addiction. I hide them in the pantry so that I can't just see them all the time and chow down all the time. I have to actually think about them and go looking for them in order to start devouring them. I still get the heartburn, but not nearly as intense as with the straight up jalapeno's. You don't want to know how many calories are in them and neither do I. I am actually too afraid to look at the nutritional contents because then I will feel even guiltier about my addictions! 

#3 craving is not nearly as bad as the other two. And it is the only one I had when I was pregnant with Carter. 
 ICE CREAM! Who doesn't just love ice cream?! I could eat ice cream any and all of the time whether I am pregnant or not, but its more intensified while I am prego. My favorite is Tillamook's chocolate peanut butter, but really any kind will do. I don't eat this very often, but I have a stock pile in my freezer because you never know when the craving will hit and the hubby won't give in to my pleadings of going out into the freezing cold weather at 11 pm at night to go and find a place that is open to cater to my NEEDS! (Which actually happened when I was 8 1/2 months prego with Carter and Kaleb has vowed never to do it again... But can you blame him? haha) Luckily I like all the creamy and chocolaty flavors and Kaleb only really likes sorbet (which I really can't stand too much unless I'm desperate for a fix). This means he never eats any of my golden treasures in the freezer. He especially does not like chocolate and peanut butter combined (go figure right?!) or peanut butter in general so I can pretty much guarantee that he will never lay a finger on my butterfinger! Now carter is a whole other story... That kid likes it all! Even the most cleaver of hiding spots become found if he has his mind set on finding it. Grr! 
 
All of this being said, I have of course gained a lot of weight these past few weeks. I had lost weight at the beginning because I was sick so often and for so long everyday that I was lucky to get one simple meal in. Once I started feeling better I slowly started gaining the weight back, but I didn't realize how fast I would surpass my original weight and becoming a beached whale! I really am trying not to overdo it, but like I said, that hot chocolate is a non negotiable every single day and those calories really start to add up. It is pretty disgusting. I haven't passed my weight when I gave birth to Carter yet, but I still have 4 weeks to go so I am pretty sure I will be entering the hospital on a stretcher since I will be too heavy to walk or be carried. 
The only thing that makes me feel good about it all is how good these cravings taste. Seriously. I am pretty much shoving a slice of heaven down my throat every time I cave in and eat. And that's not so bad right? And I only have a month left of this before I have to give it up and give into the guilt of being over weight and no longer having the excuse of being pregnant. Plus, Kaleb still tells me how beautiful I am even when I don't pressure him into giving me the compliment on the days I am feeling my worst. He is the greatest support and makes me feel like I am still that young, cute, skinny girl he married. :) And I get an adorable baby girl out of all of this chaotic calorie intake! That alone makes it all worth it. 

2 comments:

Mrs. Hembree said...

Hey! I didn't know you were pregnant! Congrats. When are you due? Girl or boy? Your cravings are crazy. Hope they pass soon. :)

The Gilleys said...

I craved all things spice when pregnant with Lucy but ice cream was a HUGE turn off. Crazy :) Cant wait to see your little girl!!