Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Another Dentist Post

I know my last post had to do with the dentist, but you are going to have to put up with another one. It just so happens that I went to the dentist about 5 times in a matter of 2 weeks for myself and Carter so we could have checkups and get some work done. Carter has learned to love the dentist. I think most of it has to do with the fact that Kaleb and I also love the dentist and have such positive things to say about it. I think it also has to do with the fact that I don't take him to my dentist. I take him to a kids dentist and its a pretty awesome place in Carters eyes.

They have a movie theater, a popcorn machine, a train set, every single one of the Disney's Cars characters you can imagine in a display case, a wii for the kids to play with while they wait, a choice of 3 different movies playing on the ceiling while you get your mouth cleaned, and Carter personal favorite- some AWESOME sun glasses to put on while you watch your movie so that the dentists light doesn't hurt your eyes. Pretty cool eh? It really is a shame they don't let any kids older than 17 be patients because I would have signed all 3 of us up if that were the case! 

I have instilled pretty good oral hygiene in Carter. He brushes his teeth twice a day and flosses before bed. I listen to all the advice the dentist has ever given me and made sure to follow it. Carters teeth have always been very close together which means I have had to really take care of them because he is more prone to cavities. 

6 months ago at his last check-up, I had noticed some dark spots on 4 of his teeth. I was so worried they were cavities, even though I had been taking care of them so well. The dentist told me they were only shadows or something like that, but needed to be cleaned really well everyday and that they could easily turn into cavities if we were not careful. Despite my best efforts, at this last check up a few weeks ago 2 of the spots had turned into cavities :( I was so sad. Carter of course didn't even know what that was so I had to explain to him how the sugar bugs had conquered two of his teeth and that the dentist the very next day was going to have to get those sugar bugs out and then paint his teeth so that it would protect them. 

Because Carter does so well when he is there, the dentist thought he could put in the fillings while carter was awake instead of sedating him. So, come the next day we went back into the office and they started Carter on some nitrous oxide, or laughing gas. I was pretty excited to see how crazy my already crazy child would become when he had no inhibitions. Pretty much he just became even louder and thought every single little thing was the coolest thing ever! I asked him how he felt when the laughing gas kicked in and he started laughing like a mad man and said "My legs tickle! They feel all cold!" He kept laughing about everything and kept interrupting the dentist to tell him whatever random things he was musing about right in the middle of him getting his teeth drilled. I was a little disappointed I didn't get anything good on tape! But now my boy officially has to have fillings in his pearly whites. Its kind of a bummer to pay the money for it just to have those same teeth fall out later- But at the same time I'm glad he gets a fresh start once new teeth come in!  
 Carter thought he looked like Darth Vader
 (even though Darth Vader's mask covers his whole face :)
I thought he looked like a clown!

Lookin Good! 

Trying to show me his new fillings, 
but they were way in the back.




 

1 comment:

Mrs. Hembree said...

Love the laughing gas picture!