Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The long and the short of it

I have been thinking about potty training Carter for a while now because he has been showing a lot of signs that he is ready. About two weeks ago I decided that I didnt want to change another diaper from him again. I was sick of it. Only because I knew that he could go to the bathroom in the toilet if he really wanted to. So last monday, without knowing what the heck I was doing, I decided I was going to start potty training him. I bought "big boy" underwear that had his favorite things on them and decided to go cold turkey and not use pull-ups at all. The first day was obviously the hardest. Carter has told me for a long time that he has gone potty AFTER he goes, so the first day was a lot like that- except he was in underwear so I chased him around all day cleaning up messes. By the end of the first day he had gone a few times on the potty, but he had also started telling me that he had to go, but then immediately start going in his pants. Progress right? I thought so. It gave me hope :)

The next day was much better and he got it right about half the time. It didn't really help that he was peeing much much more than usual because I had read somewhere to give him more fluids the days of potty training so that it makes them more aware that they have to go. Man, he was like a peeing machine! I started getting worried by the end of the 2nd day because he hadn't had a single bowel movement in two days and this is coming from a kid who is EXTREMELY regular. I didn't know how to show Carter that he could just poop in the toilet without him actually doing it first -even if it was in his pants just so I could show him that it goes into the toilet. On the 3rd day, he pretty much had the peeing part down. He told me all day, even if he just had to squeeze one little drop out, that he had to go potty. But, as awesome as that was, he ended up pooping about 3 times in his pants. The first two times he did it, he didn't even tell me and he ran around playing with gross poop in his pants for who knows how long! To make a long story short, we are still working on the pooping. About half the time he tells me before he's got to go, and the other half of the time he starts to go in his pants and then stops and tells me. But at least he ends up going in the toilet, at least a little bit, all of the time! Haha. I have been doing a LOT of running the past two weeks! We are on week two now and he is doing great! Every few days he still has an accident and I'm not sure why, but it is a work in progress! He still wears diapers to bed and at nap time, and we put pull-ups on him when we go out but he is very good about not getting the pull-up wet at all and telling me that he has to go. He loves wearing his big boy underwear!

This was the first time I asked him to show me his big boy underwear, but he told me he had to go potty instead!
The second time he was much more willing to show me the underwear and pretty much his whole stomach :)




Last night I decided I wanted to cut Carters hair. Now, I have cut his hair lots of times before, but I never cut a lot off. I have been wanting him to grow it out and get kind of a shaggy look I guess. I have only ever done it with scissors before, but this time Kaleb and I decided we would try it out with his hair razor. We tried it with the biggest attachment first (size 7) to see how short it would be, but it didn't cut any hair off it seemed. So we went down a size (to a 6) and Kaleb pushed the button that gets the attachment as close to the head as possible. I though that meant it would just get a little bit closer so that it wouldn't miss any hairs. I didn't realize it would cut all of his hair off! After the first buzz, there was no going back! I was so sad!!! All of his beautiful hair was chopped off. It doesn't look too bad I guess, but it is taking a LOT of getting used to. It also seemed to take a year off of his face. He looks like just a little baby again! Oh well, its just hair right? In a few months it will grow back. He sure is cute no matter how much hair he's got though :)


BEFORE....



AFTER!

Don't mind the big bruise on his forehead- just another day in the life of Carter



2 comments:

Jared and Jasmine said...

That's funny because I just gave Molly her first haircut on Monday! Haha...it really isn't much of a cut, just even the top hairs out. Carter looks like a mini Kaleb with his new cut!

Tatiana said...

Yay for being potty trained!! And I actually think his haircut makes him look older!